- Sale Type: For Sale by Private Treaty
- Overall Floor Area: 0.13 ac
- Site area extends to 0.05 hectares (0.128 acres)
- Zoned Objective 'Z6' - rezoning for residential use
- Full Planning Permission for 62 co-living units.
- Excellent public transport links - LUAS, Dublin bus and rail
- Excellent location - approx. 2.5 km from Dublin city centre
- Located 160 metres from St. James's Childrens Hospital
The planning reference number is Reg. Ref. 4009/20 and the planning permission is for 62 co-living units.
LOCATION AND DESCRIPTION
Carrigan's, 72 - 74 Old Kilmainham Road occupies a high profile position on the corner of Brookfield Road and Old Kilmainham Road. The property adjoins DPL DIY Home Improvements Centre and is located opposite a new hotel development site and Millennium Communications and Derek Beahan car recovery. The property is conveniently located within 160 metres from the New Children's Hospital and is within a short walking distance to the Hilton Hotel, Kilmainham Gaol, The Royal Hospital Kilmainham, St. Patrick's University Hospital and St. James's Gate Guinness Open Gate Brewery.
There is already a strong precedent for 5 - 6 storey residential blocks in this immediate area and I understand that the new planning regulations may allow for 1 - 2 additional floors Subject to Planning Permission and quality of design.
According to 'Hughes Planning and Development Consultants' most of the adjoining Z6 Zoned lands are in the process of being rezoned to allow for residential development (see map below). This could allow for higher density Private Rental Sector developments in this area given the close proximity to public transport.
Given the close proximity to the new Children's Hospital, Kilmainham Gaol, The Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin Zoo, St. James's Gate Guinness Store House and Open Gate Brewery this would also be seen to be a viable site for a new boutique hotel development.
Given the imminent rezoning of this Z6 area to residential use the site may also be able to accommodate a Co-living development or a Private Rental Sector development given the recent rise in rental levels in this area.
We have been informed that the site extends to approximately 0.05 hectares (0.128 acres) and comprises an existing 2 and 3 storey public house of approximately 575 sq.m. (6,189 sq.ft), which has been derelict for a number of years. This high profile corner site can be developed to accommodate a new apartment block or hotel S.P.P. According to Hughes Planning & Development Consultants there is definite potential to apply for planning permission for a new 8 storey 70 - 80 bedroom hotel or PRS/coliving apartment block on the site S.P.P.
THE PROPERTY IS LOCATED LESS THAN:
- 160 metres distance from the Children's Hospital
- 550 metres from Rialto LUAS stop
- 500 metres from the Hilton Hotel
- 1 km distance from Heuston Train Station
- The property is located less than 160 metres from the National Children's Hospital
- Located 2.5km from Dublin City Centre
- 1km south west of Heuston Station, off South Circular Road, adjacent to Kilmainham Lane and to the south west of the Royal Hospital Kilmainham
- Site area approximately 0.05 hectares (0.128 acres)
- Attractive Lot size for a mixed use development
- Current planning permission for a 5 storey mixed use development comprising of 1 retail unit, 3 offices and 10 apartments
- Zoning - The site is zoned 'Z6' Industrial, Enterprise, employment
- Established residential and commercial area with excellent access to the M50
- There has been a strong increase in residential activity and residential prices in this area
- Public Transport - LUAS Red Line (Rialto station - 5 minutes' walk), numerous Dublin Bus, Bus Éireann Routes, Iarnród Eireann, Heuston Train Station
- Existing building is in poor condition and in need of replacement
- Within walking distance of St. James' Hospital, may suit a Primary Care Centre/medical use with ancillary residential use.
- Within a short walking distance from the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Heuston South Quarter, Diageo, Guinness Storehouse, Pearse Lyons Distillery & Roe & Co. Distillery etc.
ZONING AND DEVELOPMENT POTENTIAL
The subject site currently is zoned Z6 'Employment/ Enterprise in the Dublin City Development Plan 2016 - 2022. However, it is due to be rezoned for residential rezoning.
- Permissible Uses ATM, Betting Office, Car park, Childcare facility, Conference centre, Cultural/recreational building and uses, Enterprise centre, Hotel, Industry (light), Live work units, Open space, Park and ride facility, Public service installation, Restaurant, Science and technology-based industry, Shop (neighbourhood),Training centre.
- Open for Consideration Uses Advertisement and advertising structures, Car trading, Civic and amenity/recycling centre, Factory shop, Funeral home, Garage (motor repair/service), Nightclub, Office, Outdoor poster advertising, Petrol station, Place of public worship, Public house, Residential, Veterinary surgery, Warehousing (retail/non-food)/Retail Park, Warehousing.
CURRENT PLANNING PERMISSION
We understand that the site has current planning permission for: 4259/07/X1 EXTENSION 01 2018
EXT OF DURATION: Planning permission to demolish existing public house premises ( Carrigan's Bar) and for the construction of a single detached five storey building over basement. The development includes 1 retail unit, 3 offices and 10 apartments, broken down as follows: 1) Basement car parking, Cycle and Bin Storage Area allowing 6 parking spaces and 24 bicycle spaces. 2) 1 no. ground floor retail unit and associated storage area. 3) 3 no first floor office and roof terrace. 4) 4 no. second floor apartments, including: i) 3 no 2 bed, 4 person apartments ii) 1 no 1 bed 2 person apartment 5) 4 no third floor apartments, including: i) 3 no. 2 bed, 4 person apartments ii) 1 no. 1 brd, 2 person apartments 6) 2 no. fourth floor apartments and roof terrace, including i) 2 no. 2 bed, 4 person apartments. The development will consist of private balconies facing onto the Old Kilmainham Road, West towards existing builder's yard, and onto Brookfield Road. New basement access to the development will be provided from the Old Kilmainham Road. And including for the connection of storm and foul water drainage to the existing council combined sewer and connection to the council mains water supply and allowing for all associated site works.
2737/15 Change of use of existing vacant public house premises (Carrigans Bar), partial demolition, alterations and single storey extensions to the rear, together with subdivision into 4 No. dwellings in one block. The development to consist of the subdivision of No. 74 into 2 No. 3 storey 4 bedroomed houses with single storey extensions to rear, and to restore No.'s 72 & 73 into 2 No. two storey 3 bedroomed houses with single storey extensions to rear. According to 'Hughes Planning & Development Consultants' it appears a tranche of smaller infill type sites will be addressed first for residential rezoning with larger sites requiring 'further analysis'.
Dublin 8 Neighbourhood Guide
Get to know more about this area with our neighbourhood guides, explore property prices lifestyle & more...