Altavilla, Cashel Road, Cahir, Co. Tipperary
- Sale Type: For Sale by Private Treaty
- Overall Floor Area: 496 m²
Altavilla is an imposing period house dating from 1790 on approximately 22 acres, situated on the outskirts of the historic market town of Cahir and with frontage to and fishing rights over the river Suir. The Virginia Creeper clad house is approximately 496 sq.mt. (5,339 sq. ft). It dates from the 1790 and was substantially remodelled in the 1860€TM to offer elegantly proportioned yet comfortable accommodation in a private and convenient location. Location The adjoining market town of Cahir has at its centre, Cahir Castle, seat of the Butlers, Barons of Caher and afterwards, Earls of Glengall, which stands on an island in the river Suir, is the largest and best presented circa 15th and 16th Century castle in Ireland. Cahir is in close proximity to Cashel, former seat of the High Kings of Ireland and due to the quality of the limestone land, Tipperary is world renowned as being at the heart of Ireland's blood stock industry with the famous Coolmore Stud about a 20-minute drive. Altavilla is approximately 3 km off the M8 Dublin to Cork motorway and is about a 2-hour drive from Dublin and 1 hour from Cork, both with international airports. Outbuildings Immediately to the rear of the house is a small kitchen courtyard which served as ancillary rooms to the main kitchen level which was originally in the semi basement/garden level and includes larder, two scullery rooms, fruit and vegetable store and two other small stores. There is also an outer courtyard which had stables, coach house and stores and which requires total restoration. Accommodation Granite steps rise to the entrance porch which in turn has steps rising to the impressive reception hall with fireplace with a timber mantelpiece and off this the main reception rooms radiate. The bow ended drawing room, a delightful room overlooking the gardens, has ornate white carved marble mantelpiece and the dining room has an ornate black marble mantelpiece and a dining alcove overlooking the lawns. The final reception room at this level is the living room/library with columned mantelpiece and fitted book shelves and cupboards and the kitchen/breakfast room has a range of fitted wall and floor cupboards. There are two separate stair halls, both of which lead to the upper and lower levels. At both half landings there are cloakrooms with WC and wash hand basin. The semi-basement/garden level itself is unusually bright and airy with high ceilings and has three main rooms and a secure wine cellar with bins. A door leads from this level to the rear garden. The main staircase rises to the spacious landing at the first floor with its airing cupboard and shower and which accommodates four bright and spacious double bedrooms, a family bathroom with large cast iron bath and extensive vanity unit plus the master bedroom, a delightful bow ended room overlooking the gardens. The upper/attic level has a further double bedroom, a study and a small store. The Grounds and Lands The house is set well back off the county road and is approached via a post and rail lined avenue through parkland with an abundance of mature timber which is a particular feature. Generally, throughout the grounds and lands are fine mature trees including specimens of Beech, Sycamore, Copper Beech and Oak and it is noted that in 1803 over 900 trees of various species were planted. The main lawns extend to the southern side of the house and include colourful rose beds and gravelled pathways, one of which leads to the original walled garden. The top-quality farm land slopes gently to the river Suir, which bounds the property and over which the single bank of fishing rights is held. History Charles Going, a well-known trader who prospered trading with the West Indies in the 1790€TM, purchased the Suir Mills in Cahir, and constructed a large country residence overlooking the river Suir, which he called Altavilla. Only three families have ever lived in Altavilla. It was the seat of the Going family for over one hundred and fifty years, from when Charles first built the house to Alexander, who carried out the Italianate remodelling and extension in the 1860 to the design of Sir Thomas Newenham Deane, to Thomas Hardinge Going, the last resident. The house was purchased by Sir Richard Pennefather Warren, the 8th Baron Warren, in the mid 1940€TM and was subsequently acquired by the well-known businessman, Jim Burke, in 1960 for his new bride and his family are the current vendors. BER Exempt
Cahir Neighbourhood Guide
Get to know more about this area with our neighbourhood guides, explore property prices lifestyle & more...
Guiding you through your entire home buying journey, from search to sold.
We use our expertise to guide you through the whole home-buying journey.
Daft ID: 12654173