The Old Bank House, Regent Street, Bagenalstown, Co. Carlow
- Sale Type: For Sale by Private Treaty
- Overall Floor Area: 892m2
The Old Bank House is a remarkable Georgian home of distinction. Completely restored to its former glory, it retains gracious living accommodation character beyond compare and charm throughout. In the center of the riverside town of Bagenalstown it boasts corner site presence with own door access to its adjacent former Banking Hall and it s converted Coach House within its enclosed service yard. There is an imposing high stoned wall private garden beyond the yard with an array of mature trees, shrubs, laid paths and a green house. Stone steps serve access to the main residence. It s array of Georgian features include the original fan light window, some stained glass, ornate coving and center roses, window shutters, pine doors, roped architrave, wide pine flooring and more. Rooms are beyond imagining their spaciousness, decor, brightness, and soft furnishings with respective fire places and light fittings are in keeping with the home they serve. It s a family home, where all can feel welcomed and at peace. The Banking Hall and connected Coach House offer opportunity to work from home to service a separate income or to extend welcome to guests. It has a train station and service from Waterford to Hueston Station, Dublin everyday, which takes 1 hour. The train station is a 5 minute walk from the house. The M9 motorway is a 10 minute drive from house and takes 1hour 20 mins to Dublin City centre. You are invited to view by appointment. We assure you satisfaction and a want to take up residence. Reception Hallway 5.218 x 3.522. Original cornices and covings. Centre rose with crystal chandelier. Roped architraves and original pine doors. Georgian doorway, stained glass sides, shutters. Polished pine flooring. Access doors to basement and inner hall. Dining Room 5.810 x 5.420. Period marble fireplace. Ornate covings and center rose. Crystal chandelier. Window shutters. Polished pine flooring. Kitchen 4.231 x 4.696. Fitted floor units with wooden work tops and draining area. Belfast sink. Double oven. Wall shelves. Centre light. W.C. 1.914 x 1.051. Painted floor. W.C., wash hand basin. Wall press. Pantry 1.883 x 2.808. Fitted shelves. Painted floor. Cloak area 2.873 x 3.694. Original stairwell. Part carpeted with brass runners. Breakfast Room 5.638 x 4.153. Black marble corner fireplace with stove. Ornate coving. Brass center light. Wall shelves. Painted wooden flooring. Restored pine door to Banking Hall. Inner hallway 3.758 x 1.85. Door to basement, reception hall and upper floors. 1st floor landing 7.277 x 2.772. Feature window with seat. Painted flooring. Centre light fitting. Curtain and rail. 2nd floor landing 6.482 x 1.206. Painted floor. Curtain and rail. Upper stairwell 2.781 x 4.606. Carpeted. Window shutters. 3rd floor landing 2.618 x 3.737. Painted flooring. Window shutters. Brass centre light fitting. Small stairs off to roof access. Bedroom 1 4.904 x 4.316. Centre fire place. Window shutters. Painted floor. Bedroom 2 6.068 x 5.417. White marble fireplace. Original coving. Centre light fitting. Window shutters. Bedroom 3 5.779 x 5.573. Centre fireplace. Painted flooring. Window shutters. Original coving. Bathroom 4.944 x 5.464. Centre fireplace. Vanity sink unit, double shower, cast iron bath, heritage toilet. Double airing press. Bedroom 4 4.690 x 4.252. Cast iron fireplace. Polished pine flooring. Bedroom 5 4.252 x 4.283. Painted flooring. Window shutters. Cast iron fire place. Bedroom 6 6.148 x 5.370. Centre fireplace. Painted flooring. Centre light fitting. Twin windows. Bedroom 7 5.869 x 5.389. Centre marble fire place. Painted flooring. Twin windows. Basement Access from stairs in main reception hallway. Store room 1 / Former pantry 2.976 x 3.0. Original wall shelves Store 2 5.701 x 11.503. Former wine cellar 3.317 x 4.0340. Former kitchen 5.130 x 4.999. Original cast iron oven with brick surround. Brass centre light fitting. Coach house window. Access to coach yard off. Back hall 1.777 x 3.041. Coach Yard Walled in with double wrought iron gates. Double wooden doors to original coach house. Doors to garden and guest house. Former coach house 10.888 x 5.766. Original floor with flag stones. Arched entrance. Banking hall 5.424 x 10.368. Ornate centre doorway. Herring bone feature beamed wooden ceiling with centre ties. Ornate fireplace with stove. Wooden flooring. Bowed shaped windows. Doors to storage off and toilet beyond. Vault with thief resisting door no.4, vaulted brick ceiling with strong box in situ. Storage off banking hall 3.982 x 1.653 & 2.475 x 4.320. Part mosaic tiled floor. Coach House / Guest Accomdation Entrance Hall 2.577 x 3.381. Tiled floor, sunken mat. Glass bevelled Georgian door to kitchen dining. Kitchen / Dining / Living area 8.805 x 4.932. Fitted floor & wall units. Wooden counter tops & insert Belfast sink. Fitted appliances. Pine ceiling with iron beams. Stained glass window. Wooden flooring. Under stairs cloak press. Brass centre light fitting. Stairs to 1st floor. Landing 9.041 x 2.051. Carpeted Bedroom 1 2.838 x 2.360. Carpeted Bedroom 2 3.528 x 3.171. Carpeted Bedroom 3 3.834 x 3.501. Carpeted. Walk in wardrobe off. T.V. point. Shower room 1.858 x 3.177. Tiled floor. Toilet, wash hand basin, bath, shower. Airing press off. A short history Built in 1814 by Thomas Singleton. The Old Bank House is an imposing Georgian double fronted, three storey over basement house boasting seven bedrooms, a mature walled in original garden and its own well. It began life as a Hotel for those travelling along the Dublin Waterford canal route. It was a prosperous venture until the arrival of the railway into Bagenalstown in 1850, when goods and people were transported at far greater speed and comfort. Following financial woes, it was taken over by what is now Bank of Ireland in 1850 s, to be used as a regional branch outside of Carlow. Each of its appointed managers lived in the house with their families for twenty year tenancies. The business of the bank was conducted from the house. As 1900 s approached, it became noticeable that the gentry were not alone in requiring banking services. The local community found a need for same. In 1904 the banking hall was constructed adjacent to the house. They transferred the business and vault into the hall there it remained in use up to early 1970 s when the bank moved to a smaller premises in town which allowed the house return to a family home once more. Renowned artists Laurence O Toole has resided there for the past 15 years he has carried out extensive renovations to re-instate it to its former glory. DIRECTIONS: From the Royal Oak Road R724 turn left on to Barrett Street, turn left again on to Regent Street. The property is located on the corner on the right.
- Oil Heating
- Re-weighted draught excluded windows
- 10 ft. walled garden with Georgian lay out
- Stone out offices
- Own well
- Special features Coach House Oil heating Quality fixtures & fitting On-site parking
Bagenalstown Neighbourhood Guide
Get to know more about this area with our neighbourhood guides, explore property prices lifestyle & more...
Guiding you through your entire home buying journey, from search to sold.
We use our expertise to guide you through the whole home-buying journey.
Daft ID: 12636608